AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program 2019, AIMS
Designation/Position- AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellow
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences invites application for AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program from eligible and interested candidates
About- Established in 2003, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is Africa’s first network of centres of excellence in mathematical sciences. AIMS enable the continent’s youth to shape the continent’s future through Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) education- training Africa’s next generation of leaders. AIMS have six centres of excellence across Africa- in South Africa, Sénégal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The AIMS Next Einstein Initiative is working to operate fifteen centres of excellence across Africa by 2023. AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Research/Job Area- Any field related to mathematical sciences
Location- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- Applicants can be from any country.
- Applicants must hold at least a PhD degree (or a recognized equivalent) in any field related to mathematical sciences before the start date of this position.
- Applicants should be interested in undertaking research within the climate change sciences and its related areas.
- Knowledge/interest in mathematical modelling would be an advantage.
- Applicants must be open-minded, and must be willing to conduct their research at their preferred AIMS Research Centre, or a designated partner institution in the same host country. The designated partner institution could be an academic/research institution or a non-academic institution (e.g. industry).
Job/Position Description- Applications shall be vetted by a committee consisting of expert researchers from AIMS, at least one external expert, and a representative from the AIMS Global Secretariat. Successful candidates will be contacted and will be expected to commence their research at the AIMS Research Centre within three months of receiving an award letter.
This is a two year extendable research position with a maximum total cost to AIMS of CAD 32,000 per annum.
How to Apply-
Applications should be submitted using the online application form, and should contain the following supporting documents:
- a completed personal details form,
- a completed research proposal form,
- a letter of motivation which outlines why you should be offered this position,
- most recent transcripts and attestation, and
- a current CV.
Your supporting documents should be ready for submission before you complete the online application form. Supporting documents should be saved as pdfs in the format: “name of the researchprogram_type of_document_AIMSentity/centre_monthyear_applicant’s name-surname”. For instance, the personal details form should be saved as “AIMSPostdoc_personaldetails_AIMSRwanda_Dec2018_SarahJake”.
Two academic referees from tertiary institutions should email confidential letters of support on your behalf to aimspostdoc @nexteinstein.org using the subject line: AIMSPostdoc_supportletter_AIMSentity/centre_month/year_applicant’s name-surname’ e.g. ‘AIMSPostdoc _AIMSRwanda_Jun2018_JohnJake’. It is your responsibility to ensure that these letters of support are sent and received. Ensure to also download and send the ‘Instructions for Referee’ document and the above email address to your respective referees.
For Contact- For further information send an email to [email protected].
Last Date for Apply– Open until filled
The call for applications will remain open until the required number of Fellows are recruited. Only complete applications with required documents will be considered.