Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019 in Canada, Government of Canada
Designation/Position- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) invites application forBanting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is the administering agency of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program and is responsible for the payment of awards in accordance with the policies and regulations outlined in the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Eligibility/Qualification–Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2018-19 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2015 and September 30, 2019 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2019.
Banting Fellows may travel and conduct field research; however, they must continue to be based at their host institution.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
70 fellowships are awarded annually;
a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
- $70,000 per year (taxable)
- 2 years (non-renewable)
How to Apply- Eligible and interested candidate can apply online.
Last Date for Apply– 18 September 2019