Designation/Position- CRG International PhD Fellowships Programme
Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain invites application for CRG International PhD Fellowships Programme- 2020 from eligible and interested candidates
About- Research group is recruiting within the CRG International PhD Fellowships Programme, highly talented and motivated students, with backgrounds in biological or biomedical sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics and/or computer science.
Fellows will benefit from an exciting international scientific environment and an integrated training programme, including access to state of the art infrastructure, lectures and seminars, specialised scientific and technological courses, complementary skills training and career development activities, phd symposia and retreats, as well as social activities.
Research/Job Area- Successful candidates will join research groups with top-level scientists and will carry out their research in one of the following scientific fields:
Bioinformatics, Genomics and Population Genomics, including methods and technology development, data integration, systems modelling and deep learning in the areas of genomics, proteomics, image bioinformatics, single-cell omics, and high throughput functional screens.
Medical Genomics, including clinical and statistical genetics, medical and single cell genomics, molecular mechanisms of disease and disease heterogeneity, and evolutionary medicine.
Systems Biology and Genomics, including systems neurobiology, quantitative cell biology, cellular dynamics, algorithms, methods and technology development, data integration and visualization, imaging, synthetic biology, deep learning applied to biology and human health, and single cell biology.
Cell Biology, mechanistic and novel approaches to understand the process of cell compartmentation, division, growth, and tissue organization.
Cellular Decision Making and Interactions, including stem cell biology, host-microbiome interactions, differentiation and disease, evolution, and immunology.
Location- Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain
For this call, the CRG group leaders who have expressed interest in recruiting a student are:
- Bioinformatics and Genomics: Donate Weghorn, Roderic Guigó
- CNAG: Marc Martí-Renom, Oscar Lao
- Cell and Developmental Biology: Sebastian Maurer, Vivek Malhotra
- Gene Regulation Stem Cells and Cancer: Bernhard Payer, Fátima Gebauer, Luciano Di Croce, Pia Cosma, Susana de la Luna
- Systems Biology: Arnau Sebé-Pedrós,Ben Lehner, Luis Serrano , Manuel Irimia Mara Dierssen, Nicholas Stroustrup
Eligibility/Qualification– Candidates should fulfil the following eligibility criteria at the time of the call deadline. If it becomes clear before, during or after the evaluation phase that one or more of the eligibility criteria have not been fulfilled, the proposal is declared ineligible and is withdrawn from any further examination.
- The call is open to candidates of any nationality.
- Candidates must have obtained a University Degree and a Masters Degree in biomedical sciences within the European Higher Education System (minimum 300 ECTS) or an equivalent University Degree that allows to start a PhD thesis in the candidate’s home country by September 2019. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degree by September 2019 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Candidates must have a high working knowledge of English.
- Candidates invited to previous PhD call interviews are not eligible.
- Preferably, candidates may not have worked at the CRG for more than 6 months before the call deadline.
Job/Position Description- For this call the following grants will be offered:
- 4 fellowships through the “Contratos predoctorales Severo-Ochoa para la Formación de doctores” 2018 call funded by the MINECO (“Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad”). (herein referred to as Severo Ochoa Grants).
- Up to 6 fellowships associated with the “Proyectos I+D Excelencia/Retos” 2018 Call funded by MINECO (herein referred to as FPI-project Grants).
- 3 fellowships through the Chromdesign “Innovative Training Network” (herein referred to as ITN Grants) to Luciano Di Croce lab (2) and to Marc Martí-Renom lab (1). Candidates for these positions must undertake trans-national mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call
Selected PhD students will receive an annual work contract with a competitive salary that will be renewed annually for a maximum of 4 years ( 3-year contract for ITNs) following the applicable national regulations. All PhD students will receive full health and occupational insurance coverage and will be included in the Spanish Social Security System.
Training and other benefits
CRG fellows will benefit from the CRG Research and Training Programme, which includes:
- International scientific environment. CRG is located in Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a cluster for biomedical research in southern Europe, which includes several other biomedical research institutions and more than 1000 researchers
- Advanced research training (training-through research, specific scientific and technology courses and a variety of CRG seminars and CRG/PRBB conferences with international invited speakers)
- Career development activities ([email protected], INTERVALS Programme offered to PRBB residents)
- Cutting- edge advanced core facilities
- Other initiatives and activities organised by the PRBB and CRG
- Student community activities (Annual Retreat & Annual Symposium)
How to Apply-
- Applications must be submitted online
- Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
- The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Education, Coursework, Honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, scientific interests and reference letters.)
- If the academic transcripts are not in Catalan, Spanish or English applicants should also attach a translation in one of the above mentioned languages.
- Applicants should select at minimum of 2 labs and a maximum of 5 in which they would like to work.
- Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
- Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Once the application is submitted, an acknowledgement of receipt will be automatically sent by e-mail to the applicant.
Applicants who would like to receive the information of the call in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), or who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on + 34 93 316 01 00.
For any additional information, please contact the Academic Office at academicoffice ([email protected])
The selection of the fellows will be based on the candidates’ academic qualifications and research excellence.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate’s CV, reference letters and on the research interests. Complete applications will be reviewed within a month after the deadline.
- Oral interviews: Short-listed candidates will receive invitations to visit the CRG for the interviews that will take place 6-9 weeks after the application deadline.
- Fellowship offers: Offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period. Selected students will have two weeks to accept the position and should start their fellowships no later than October 1st 2019.
More details are included in the Call Text.
For Contact- In case of doubts about the eligibility criteria, applicants should contact the Academic Office ([email protected]) prior to submitting an application.
For any additional information, please contact the CRG Academic Office at: [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 13 January 2020
|Call deadline||January 13, 2020|
|Invitation for the interviews||January 27-31, 2020|
|Oral interviews||March 2-6, 2020|
|Notification to candidates||March 11-13, 2020|
|Start date of fellowships||October, 2020|