Dioscuri Centres of Scientific Excellence Program ( Third Call) in Poland
Designation/Position- Scientific Excellence Program
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and National Science Centre Poland (NCN) invites application for Scientific Excellence Program from eligible and interested candidates
About- Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and National Science Centre Poland (NCN) open the third call for Dioscuri Centres of Scientific Excellence in Poland. Dioscuri is a programme devised by MPG to support the development of lighthouses of scientific excellence in Central and Eastern Europe by promoting outstanding researchers who want to conduct their research in this region. Following a bottom-up and sustainable approach, it strives to establish future-oriented research fields and international standards of scientific quality. Dioscuri serves to strengthen the European Research Area as a whole and to expand the foundations for long-term economic and social prosperity in Europe.
Research/Job Area- Humanities and Social Sciences, Life Sciences and Natural Sciences and Technology
Dioscuri Centres (DCs) may be established in all Scientific Disciplines, including especially
Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Fundamental questions of human existence and the nature of reality
- Human nature and human society
- Individuals, institutions, markets
- Norms and governance
- The study of the human past
- Applied life sciences and biotechnology
- Biology of tissues, organs and organisms
- Cellular and developmental biology
- Diagnostic tools, therapies and public health
- Evolutionary and environmental biology
- Genetics, genomics
- Human and animal immunology and infection
- Human and animal non-infectious diseases
- Molecular biology, structural biology, biotechnology
Natural Sciences and Technology
- Astronomy and space research
- Computer science and informatics
- Condensed matter physics
- Earth sciences
- Fundamental constituents of matter
- Materials and synthesis
- Physical and analytical chemical sciences
- Products and processes engineering
- Systems and communication engineering
Eligibility/Qualification– The call is directed at internationally competitive and scientifically outstanding scientists who have proven their ability to conduct innovative research independently and:
- who completed their PhD no longer than 15 years prior to the application deadline .
- who have proven their international mobility over the course of their scientific career, e.g., who pursued their PhD and post-doc at different research institutions (at least one of them outside Poland).
- who have not been employed at the Host Institution on a contract of employment during the last two years prior to the application deadline.
- whose work will be accompanied by a Partner employed by a German university or research institution.
- DCs are expected to conduct top-class internationally competitive and innovative research. Each of them will be funded with up to € 300,000 p.a., initially for five years.
- This amount will be part of a larger package involving supplementary funds, infrastructure, scientific equipment, and a long-term perspective for the leader of the DC at the respective Host Institution (to be arranged individually between selected candidates and their Host Institutions).
- This will put the DCs in a position to attract additional funding from NCN and other Polish or European/international sources.
Applicants are asked to provide a concept for the DC they plan to establish, which includes an innovative research programme as well as an outline for the DC’s structural development.
In the second call, up to a total of four DCs will be established in the fields of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Life Sciences and Natural Sciences and Technology.
Each DC established through this call will be monitored and evaluated by the Dioscuri Scientific Committee, and will be awarded the title of Dioscuri Centre of Scientific Excellence
A programme initiated by the Max Planck Society, jointly managed with the National Science Centre in Poland, and mutually funded by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MNiSW) and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
How to Apply- The application must be submitted via online application until the 23rd of March 2020
- Applications are made up of an application form, a short concept and a full concept and are subject to a formal eligibility check and peer review.
- The eligibility check is carried out by MPG and NCN.
- Applications must be submitted online
Last Date for Apply– 23 March 2020