Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for Doctoral Programs in Canada
Designation/Position- Doctoral Programs in Canada
Government of Canada invites application for Doctoral Programs in Canada from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health. Doctoral Programs in Canada
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
Eligibility/Qualification– Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2020 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canadian institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students.
- Valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies
- Considers three equally weighted selection criteria: Academic Excellence, Research Potential, and Leadership
How to Apply- Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program. Vanier CGS application packages submitted through ResearchNet will first be submitted to the Canadian institution that will be putting forward their nomination.
Candidates should verify institutional internal deadlines with the administrator at the nominating institution.
Candidates should read the Selection Committee Guide prior to commencing their application. This guide lists the three evaluation criteria and has useful information on how the criteria are evaluated.
The Secretariat has curated a list of resources to help applicants, institutions, referees, and evaluators consider equity, diversity, and inclusion in their application. All applicants are encouraged to review the resources before they begin preparing their application.
Last Date for Apply– 6 November 2019
|July – November 2019||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit application package.|
|Internal Deadline (varies)||Deadline to submit application to the nominating institution. Contact nominating institution for specific date.|
|November 6, 2019 (20:00 ET)||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2019 – March 2020||Review and evaluation of nominations.|
|Early April 2020||Anticipated notification of results.Nominees will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|May 1, 2020, September 1, 2020 or January 1, 2021||Payments begin.|
For Students: Consult nominating institution for submission deadline.
For nominating institutions: Deadline: November 6, 2019 (20:00 EST).