Designation/Position- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
On behalf of United States-India governments United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) administers the Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship offer for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Research.
About- In a September 2014 Joint Statement, the President of the United States of America and the Prime Minister of the Republic of India launched U.S.-India Climate Fellowship Program to build longterm capacity to address climate change related issues in both countries. In pursuance of the Joint Statement, the Government of the United States of America and the Government of the Republic of India desiring to promote further mutual understanding between the two peoples by a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents – intend to partner to build long-term capacity in the United States and India by engaging scientific and technical research scholars from both countries related to climate research and education through the FulbrightKalam Climat Fellowship. The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) administers the Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship on behalf of both the governments.
- Doctoral Research: These fellowships are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
- Postdoctoral Research: These fellowships are designed for Indian faculty and researchers who are in the early stages of their research careers in India. Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships will provide opportunities to talented faculty and researchers to strengthen their research capacities. Postdoctoral fellows will have access to some of the finest resources in their areas of interest and will help build long-term collaborative relationships with U.S. faculty and institutions. These fellowships are for eight to 12 months.
Eligibility Requirements for Doctoral Research-
In addition to the General Prerequisites:
- Applicants registered for their Ph.D. should have conducted adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. The applicant must be registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution on or before August 1, 2017. In the online application form, one of the referees should be Ph.D. supervisor. S/he should comment on the research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicate the Ph.D. registration date and topic.
- Ph.D. students will conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis. Therefore, the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after grant end date. For example, if May 2020 is the expected grant end date, applicant cannot submit their thesis before August 2020.
- Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the “Applicant Annexure.” The applicant can download the “Applicant Annexure.” from the USIEF website;
- If employed, applicants should follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, the applicant must obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the “Employer’s Endorsement Form”. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. Applicants can download the “Employer’s Endorsement Form” from the USIEF website; and
- Applicants should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the Master’s/M.Phil. thesis in the online application form.
Note: These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
- Eligibility Requirements for Postdoctoral Research
In addition to the General Prerequisites:
- Applicants should have been awarded a Ph.D. degree within the past four years. Applicants must have obtained a Ph.D. degree between July 16, 2014 and July 15, 2018. Applicants are required to upload their Ph.D. degree certificate/provisional Ph.D. certificate in the online application;
- Applicants must be published in reputed journals and demonstrate evidence of superior academic and professional achievement. Please upload a recent significant publication (copy of paper/article) in the online application; and
- If employed, applicants should follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the “Letter of Support from Home Institution.” The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. Applicants can download the “Letter of Support from Home Institution” from the USIEF website.
Note: In the application, the applicant is required to indicate the period in which s/he can complete the proposed project in the United States. The applicant must determine grant duration carefully. Should s/he be selected for a grant, it will be for the period specified in the application. The duration cannot be changed.
Job/Position Description- These fellowships provide J-1 visa, support, a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges, round-trip economy class air travel between India and the U.S., a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance. In case of postdoctoral research grantees, and subject to availability of funds, a dependent allowance and international travel may be provided for one accompanying eligible dependent provided the dependent is with the grantee in the U.S. for at least 80% of the grant period.
The selected candidate will have affiliation with one U.S. host institution during the grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions for affiliation and correspond in advance with potential host institutions. If the applicant has a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, it should be included as a part of the online application. The letter of invitation should indicate the duration of visit, preferably with dates.
How to Apply- Applications must be submitted online. Please visit the Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship webpage at for fellowship details and application instructions