Group Leader Position at ICGEB, Cape Town, South Africa
Designation/Position- Group Leader Position
ICGEB, Cape Town, South Africa invites application for Group Leader Position from eligible and interested candidates
About- ICGEB is performing frontline research across a wide range of topics in plant and agriculture biotechnology and is now launching a plant microbiome research consortium across the three Components. Crop-plant microbiomes model(s) of importance to ICGEB member countries will be studied in a synergestic and coordinated effort with respect to plant recruitment, biotic/abiotic stress tolerance and plant growth promotion.
Research/Job Area- Biology, Molecular Biology, Bioinfomatics or the equivalent
Location- ICGEB, Cape Town, South Africa
Eligibility/Qualification– Ph.D. Degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, or the equivalent and ideally with a strong background in plant or microbial data science. A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.
Job/Position Description- Under the supervision of the Cape Town Component Director, the incumbent will be responsible for
fundraising, coordinating and developing research activities within the Group and will be responsible for:
- Establishing world-class research at the forefront of plant science and system biology, with
particular focus on plant and microbiome data analysis
- Directing the activities of the System Biology Group, with particular reference to
dissemination of scientific information on technical and other relevant aspects
- Carrying out an independent basic research program in plant microbiome structure and formation
- Developing a rigorous externally funded research program
- Collaborating with other Group Leaders and the Director of the Cape Town Component in the
overall scientific organization and implementation of research programs of the Component
- Collaborating with scientists in ICGEB’s Member Countries
- Supervising and coordinating the activities of the Laboratory Staff, Fellows, and Technician
- Taking part in ICGEB’s training and capacity-building activities
- Performing other work and institutionally related duties, as may be required
DURATION: Four-year appointment with the possibility of further extensions subject to performance and availability of funds, with the first year as a probationary period.
How to Apply- Candidates should submit their full curriculum vitae and a statement of the proposed research to Dr. Luiz Zerbini (email to [email protected], quoting reference ZAF/03/05-20), and submit the Personal History Form, together with a cover letter outlining the motivation for application and full contact details of three referees.
Last Date for Apply– 15 July 2020