Humboldt Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers in Germany
Designation/Position- Humboldt Fellowship
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany invites application for Humboldt Fellowship from eligible and interested candidates
About- In providing Humboldt Fellowships for postdoctoral researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad who are just embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research (6–24 months) in Germany. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply. Humboldt Fellowship
Research/Job Area- All disciplines
- Candidates are selected solely on the basis of the evaluation of their academic qualification.
- There are no quotas for individual disciplines or countries.
- A candidate’s academic qualification is assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
- Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
- Expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and one other academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute.
- Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
- Applications to continue a research stay already underway can only be considered in exceptional cases. The applicant may not have spent an extended period in Germany prior to application. Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- The Humboldt-Foundation assumes that candidates will abide the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the legally-binding principles of scientific ethics during the application and sponsorship periods.
Job/Position Description- The fellowship is worth 2,670 EUR per month.
- The research outline is carried out in cooperation with academic hosts at research institutions in Germany.
- Applicants choose their own topic of research and their host in Germany.
- Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
- Short-term visits for study and training purposes or for attending conferences are not eligible for sponsorship.
How to Apply- Applications can only be submitted online.
Applications may be submitted to the Humboldt Foundation online at any time, provided they have been duly completed and all of the following required documents have been uploaded:
- Curriculum vitae (two pages max)
- Research outline (five pages max)
- Complete list of publications
- List of selected key publications
- Key publications
- Doctoral certificate
- German language certificate, if applicable
- Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities*
- Two expert reviews*
- Additionally, where required: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt as well as summaries or translations of the key publications
Last Date for Apply– Applications are possible at any time.
- The selection committee meets every year in March, July and November.
- If an application has been approved, a fellow arriving from abroad may start the fellowship two months after the selection meeting at the earliest.
- Fellows must start their fellowships within twelve months of the selection meeting; otherwise the fellowship will be forfeited.