Newton Bhabha Fund Programme 2020 to Study in UK Institutions
Designation/Position- Newton Bhabha Fund Programme
Newton-Bhabha Fund invites application for Newton Bhabha Fund Programme from eligible and interested candidates to Study in UK Higher Education Institutions
About- The Newton-Bhabha Fund is back with its annual PhD Placement Programme. This year, the fund will offer PhD scholars from India and the UK to spend a period of their study (up to two to four months) in UK higher education institutions. These students will get an opportunity anytime between April- December 2021.
Research/Job Area- various research area
Location- UK higher education institutions
Applications invited from Ph.D. students to pursue part of research in the UK from the following categories (A) 2017 INSPIRE doctoral fellowship batch; (B) Ph.D. second/third year Life Science students and (c) Social Science.
In India, the scheme is open only for Indian PhD scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institutions with the following criteria:
- INSPIRE Ph.D. Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2017 are eligible to apply for a STEM and Life Sciences subjects.
- Ph.D. Scholar (other than INSPIRE Fellows) pursuing a Ph.D. in the mid-second or third year of Life Sciences are eligible to apply.
- ICSSR Doctoral Fellows or registered Ph.D. scholars (full time) studying in the second or third year of Social Sciences are eligible to apply.
On behalf of the Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom (UK) and the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, British Council India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
The programme is envisaged to:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of trained researchers in the UK and India to foster research and innovation in the two countries.
- Build cultural understanding and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India.
- Visa fee, economy class international airfares and overseas travel insurance for PhD scholars.
- In-country costs including accommodation and stipend for PhD scholars
- Bench fees (if applied for) by UK host university
How to Apply-
The application should be submitted by the PhD scholar with an endorsement from both the sending and receiving Head of Department (or equivalent) with the latter’s confirmation that they will host the PhD scholars, the duration of their stay and the level of bench fees, if applicable (bench fees are applicable only for UK host universities).
You can access the appropriate application form using the links below:
Please read the call guidelines document available in the downloads section before completing your application.
To help you to prepare your application, a sample application form is available in the downloads section. Please note that this has been provided for reference only and is not to be used to submit an application.
For British Council India
Purti Kohli at [email protected]
For DST – India
Tamana Arora: [email protected]
For DBT – India
Dr Ketan Thorat: [email protected]
Mr Mahesh Madhukar: [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 16 August 2020
Deadline for receipt of applications:16 August 2020, 16:00 hours UK time (20.30 hours India time)
Results announcement: November 2020
Placements to take place: Between April 2021 to December 2021