Designation/Position- PhD Research Fellow
The Faculty of Technolgy, Natural Science and Maritime Sciences has a vacancy in the Department of Process, Energy and Environmental Technology for a position as PhD Research Fellow in Bioelectrochemistry from 01.09.2018.
About- Southeastern University College (HSN) is the country’s largest state college, measured in the total number of students, and larger than more of today’s universities. The Faculty of Technolgy, Natural Science and Maritime Sciences has a vacancy for a position as PhD Research Fellow in Bioelectrochemistry from 01.09.2018. The position is attached to the Department of Process, Energy and Environmental Technology and reports to the Head of Department. The place of employment is Campus Porsgrunn.
Research/Job area– Bioelectrochemistry
Location- Southeastern University College, Norway
A Master degree in chemical/environmental/process engineering or biotechnology.
- Proven knowledge and/or experience on electrochemistry, reactor design and operation, and microbial processes.
- Laboratory experience regarding routines, chemical analysis and instrumentation.
- Track record of scientific publication is a strong advantage for final evaluation.
Applicants to the PhD position must have gained a Master’s degree or equivalent higher education qualifications in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology or equivalent. An average grade B or better from Master’s degree, in addition to grade B or better on the final master thesis project is required. The applicant must have gained the degree within the commencement date.
It is a requirement that the successful applicant is granted admission to the university’s doctoral programme in Process, Energy and Automation Engineering. Admission to the doctoral programme is a condition for appointment as a research fellow.
Job/Position Description- The doctoral research fellow will be involved in a research project funded by the University College of Southeast Norway – “Climate and Energy”. This project will develop a bioelectrochemical engineering system for CO2 utilization. The PhD candidate will closely collaborate with faculty members from Department of Process, Energy and Environmental Technology and Department of Microsystems. She/he will be involved in the design, operation and optimization of bioelectrochemical reactor solutions.
The PhD work includes:
- Setting up laboratory scale batch and continuous flow experiments, growing biofilms on various electrodes, monitoring biofilm structure and performance under different electrochemical potentials, on different electrodes, operational conditions and reactor designs.
- This includes work to define key parameters and development of methods to study the performance of such reactors.
- The position strongly requires practical skills and laboratory experience.
How to Apply- University College of Southeast Norway uses online applications. We therefore ask applicants to register their application and CV online by clicking on the “Send application” link to the right. The application must include the following documents:
- ½ page motivation letter.
- Certified diplomas and certificates from university college/university.
- Master’s thesis.
- A 1-page project description.
- Any scientific publications and a list of these.
- Three references (contact information).
Please note that all documents must be translated into English or a Scandinavian language by an authorized translator.