Post-doctoral Fellow – 2019 in Macquarie University, Australia
Designation/Position- Post-doctoral Fellow – 2019
Macquarie University, Australia application forPost-doctoral Fellow – 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- The MQ Department of Physics and Astronomy within Faculty of Science has three main research areas: Photonics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Quantum Physics. In the Australian Government’s Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) initiative, Astronomy and Astrophysics research at Macquarie received a top ranking of 5. In terms of staff numbers, research outputs and postgraduate student numbers the Department has undergone rapid expansion over the last 10 years. It provides a nurturing and stimulating environment for early career researchers, with excellent facilities, regular seminars and colloquia, and internationally recognised researchers and supervisors. Post-doctoral Fellow – 2019
In 2018, the main node of Australian Astronomical Optics (AAO) became a department within Macquarie University. AAO-Macquarie has over 40 world-leading experts in optical instrumentation, astronomy and e-research.
Macquarie University is set in an appealing parklike campus, equipped with its own train station, approximately 30 minutes’ train ride to downtown Sydney. Sydney, set on a beautiful harbour and enjoying a mild, pleasant climate, has been voted the world’s friendliest and most culturally diverse city.
Research/Job Area- Physics, Engineering or a closely related field
Project Title- solid-state THz source development and spectroscopy
Location- Macquarie University, Australia
- PhD in Physics, Engineering or a closely related field;
- Experience in design, construction and characterisation of solid-state lasers; AND/OR experience in THz radiation generation, detection and applications;
- Excellent publication record in leading research journals and international conferences;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to academic life, administrative tasks of the Centre and a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of an effective team.
- A track record of working with industry partners;
- Knowledge of non-linear optical processes and their optimisation;
- Experience in spectroscopy of materials, and advanced spectral analysis techniques such as multi-variate analysis/principal component analysis;
- Experience and skills in co-supervising postgraduate students on research projects;
- Experience in working on research projects which span disciplines.
Job/Position Description- Macquarie University is currently seeking a suitably qualified Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join a team of internationally recognised laser researchers within the MQ Photonics Research Centre in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The successful applicant will take a key role in both the development of compact and robust solid-state, laser-based terahertz (THz) sources, and their application to spectroscopy of illicit substances, funded by a recently awarded ARC Linkage project (in collaboration with the Australian Federal Police, M Squared Lasers and The University of Technology, Sydney). Specifically, the applicant will design, construct and characterise THz laser sources based on the process of stimulated polariton scattering, in crystalline media. The successful applicant will also contribute to the design and construction of systems for the collection of THz spectra of illicit substances using these sources. Research effort will be focused on the development of novel THz sources and related systems, which meet the specifications required by our partners. The applicant will also play an active role in supporting PhD students. There will be significant opportunity for travel to disseminate research results at conferences, and to conduct meetings with our commercial partner in the UK.
- Salary Package: From Level A Step 6 $91,991 to $98,588 p.a. or Level B from $103,914 to $122,947 p.a., plus 17% employer’s Superannuation and annual leave loading.
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed term for 3 years
How to Apply- Eligible and interested candidate can apply online.
Specific Role Enquiries: Dr. Andrew Lee at [email protected]
General Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 31 March 2019