Postdoc Position 2019 in Netherlands, University of Twente
Designation/Position- Postdoc Position 2019 in Netherlands
University of Twente, Netherlands invites application for
Postdoc Position 2019 in Netherlands from eligible and interested candidates
About- The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research. Postdoc Position 2019 in Netherlands, University of Twente
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
Research/Job Area- (Applied) Physics, Materials Science, (Mechanical) Engineering, Metamaterials or related subjects
Location- University of Twente, Netherlands
- You have obtained a PhD degree in (Applied) Physics, Materials Science, (Mechanical) Engineering, Metamaterials or related subjects. Knowledge of wave-matter interactions or metamaterials is a prerequisite.
- You are motivated to design and develop new materials with functional acoustic properties.
- You have acquired some experience in microfluidics or inkjet printing, or would be interested in learning such skills at the University of Twente, a leading institution in this field.
- You have written in-depth or high-profile scientific papers and a strong ability to orally present results.
- You love working in a team in which fundamental and applied research cross-fertilize.
Job/Position Description- Metamaterials exhibit functional properties that originate from their 3D architecture rather than their chemistry. In this project, we aim to explore the design and fabrication of acoustic metamaterials with exceptional sound-absorbing properties originated from a microstructure consisting of controlled building blocks. With a recently-developed technology for 3-dimensional printing of foams (not yet published), the pore size, interconnectivity, and the outer 3D-shape can be locally and independently controlled. Without any optimization and despite the random alignment of the unit cells, these foams already exhibit strong acoustic absorption properties at a highly relevant spectrum of ~400 Hz to 6 kHz. In view of our preliminary results, the goals of this project are:
- Design of 3D-printed shape of the foams, to realize metamaterials with exceptional absorbance or focusing properties. A rational design strategy will be required.
- Experiment with polymerizable materials to achieve a broader absorption spectrum (including very low frequencies) or a target sequence of frequency gaps. We will provide the setup and a basic set of materials as a start, which will be further optimized towards excellent acoustic properties. For example, the feasibility of acoustic lenses, wave guides, and mirrors will be assessed.
- The position is for at least 1 year. The starting date is as soon as possible.
- The gross monthly salary will range from € 3.255,- to € 4.274,- and will depend on experience and qualifications. In addition, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
How to Apply- Your application should consist of:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your publications, grants, awards, and working experience. The CV should reflects the scope of your work and your academic performance. If you have relevant pre-publications, we invite you to list these as well;
- Contact details of at least two references who worked closely with you.
Last Date for Apply– 15t March 2019