Postdoc Position – 2019 in Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH, Germany
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH, Germany invites application for Postdoc Position – 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Institute for Energy and Climate Research – Troposphere (IEK-8) investigates the chemistry of the troposphere, performs global observations, and simulates atmospheric chemistry and transport processes using numerical models.
Skilful forecasting of clouds and irradiance prediction is important for the short-term predictions of photovoltaic power. Deterministic differential equations, need to be extended to stochastic formulation, which accounts for the uncertainties of input and steering parameters.
Major Scientific Big Data Analytics (SBDA) methods are to be applied with supervised learning as well as parallel and scalable classification algorithms.
Research/Job Area- Meteorology, computational physics, applied mathematics or a comparable discipline
Project Title- Development of probabilistic mesoscale modelling for Cloud and Solar Power Prediction
Location- The Institute for Energy and Climate Research – Troposphere (IEK-8), Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH, Germany
- Doctoral degree in meteorology, computational physics, applied mathematics or a comparable discipline
- Profound knowledge in atmospheric physics, and a strong interest in international collaboration
- Besides strong technical and organizational skills, it is expected that the results of the research are presented in peer reviewed publications and at international conferences
- Proven experience in numerical modelling and parallel programming skills using state of the art software languages, such as FORTRAN 90 or C(++), is a requirement
- Experiences with big data analytics and deep learning methods is an advantage
- Sound command of English language is mandatory
Offer by Research group
- International, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Working in an institute of one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- Strengthening the professional profile in the management of large projects
- Use of excellent scientific and technical infrastructure
- A comprehensive further training programme
- Participation in project meetings and international conferences
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and family life
- Limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
- Model ensemble generation by sampling initial conditions, boundary values, as well as perturbed model formulations
- Improve and adapt the Stochastic Kinetic Energy Backscatter (SKEB) Scheme and the Stochastically Perturbed Parameterization Tendency (SPPT) Scheme
- Application and extension of Sequential Importance Filters and Smoothers for satellite imagery and resampling methods
- Implementation of neural network based ensemble calibration methods and reference methods, including several deep neural network (DNNs) architectures, e.g. CNNs, LSTM networks as well as combinations of them using the tensor library PyTorch
How to Apply-
Research group look forward to receiving your application for Postdoc Position – 2019, preferably online via our online recruitment system on career site until 13.01.2019, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.
Contact by mentioning the reference number 2018-415: [email protected]
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.
Last Date for Apply– 13 January 2018