Postdoc Position – Madrid at the University of Madrid (UCM), Spain
Designation/Position- Postdoc Position – Madrid
University of Madrid (UCM), Madrid, Spain invites application for Postdoc Position – Madrid from eligible and interested candidates
About- The position is part of the European-funded Horizon2020 project TiPES (Tipping Points in the Earth System, https://www.tipes.dk/). The main aim of TiPES is to develop the underpinning science for safe operation of the Earth system, with special attention to the risk of crossing tipping points. The particular focus of the postdoctoral position will be to investigate the role of the interactions between climate and ice sheets in past glacial abrupt climate changes, as well as in warmer climates. The researcher will use the ice-sheet model Yelmo, recently developed in our group, along with the new intermediate complexity global climate model CLIMBER-X, developed at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany (a partner in this project).
Research/Job Area- Earth science, physics or a related field
Location- University of Madrid (UCM), Madrid, Spain
To apply successfully, you will:
– have a PhD in Earth science, physics or a related field;
– have experience with numerical modeling and programming (e.g., Fortran);
– be a proficient user of scientific computing environments (e.g., Python, R), preferably with experience using high performance computing clusters (HPCCs);
– have a publication record in peer-reviewed, international journals;
– be fluent in English (equivalent to CEFR level C1).
It will be advantageous if you can demonstrate a capacity for:
– collaboration in international research projects;
– applying for competitive, external funding;
– independent thinking and diligence;
– ice-sheet and/or climate modeling.
Proficiency in Spanish is not required, as the working language is English.
The research group is inviting applications for a two-year postdoctoral research position in coupled climate – ice-sheet modeling at the Complutense University of Madrid (UCM) in Madrid, Spain. The position will preferably start in Fall 2020.
The postdoc will work in close collaboration with Marisa Montoya, Jorge Alvarez-Solas and Alexander Robinson in the Paleoclimate Modeling and Analysis (PalMA) group in the Department of Physics of the Earth and Astrophysics of the UCM (www.palma-ucm.es). The UCM is one of the top universities in Spain and our group leads in research in climate and ice sheet modeling (www.ucm.es).
How to Apply-
Please submit your application including a letter of motivation, a CV and contact details of two referees by email to Prof. Marisa Montoya <[email protected]> before 31 August 2020.