Postdoctoral Fellow Position 2019 in University of Melbourne, Australia
Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Fellow Position 2019 in Australia
University of Melbourne, Australia invites application for Postdoctoral Fellow Position 2019 in Australia from eligible and interested candidates
About- The appointee will join the School of Chemistry as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the research group of Associate Professor Colette Boskovic. The Research Fellow will focus on research into the chemical synthesis and investigation of new metal-based compounds relevant to the fields of switchable molecules and molecualar magnetism. The appointee will be involved in synthetic organic and synthetic inorganic chemistry research and will use techniques such as single crystal X-ray diffraction, magnetochemistry, electrochemistry and NMR and EPR spectroscopy to assist in the characterization of synthetic compounds. Aspects of the project will involve anaerobic synthesis using a Schlenk and glovebox and analysis of experimental data. The position will involve the regular writing of reports and manuscripts for publication and well as oral presentation of the results.
Research/Job Area- Chemistry or related fields
Location- University of Melbourne, Australia
A PhD in inorganic chemistry or a related area.
- Expertise in the synthesis of organic ligands and coordination complexes.
- Demonstrated experience in anaerobic laboratory techniques (Schlenk line and glovebox).
- Expertise in magnetochemistry.
- Expertise in crystallography.
- Experience in electrochemistry
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and work independently and creatively on day-to-day research activities.
- Ability to prepare manuscripts suitable for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Good oral communication skills as well as the ability to interact harmoniously with colleagues in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Good organisational and time-management abilities. Planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise multiple task and set and meet deadlines.
- Experience in EPR and/or NMR spectroscopy
- Ability to co-supervise junior team members, including students.
- Ability to oversee the day to day running of the laboratory
- Co-ordinate and conduct experiments including the chemical synthesis of redox-active organic ligands and complexes of 3d and 4f metals, which are compounds with potential relevance for molecular switching or single-molecule magnetism.
- Conduct experiments that lead to the characterisation of new compounds, using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, magnetochemistry, electrochemistry and EPR/NMR spectroscopy.
- Undertake analysis and modelling of experimental data as necessary.
- Develop reports and papers based on research findings for presentation at conferences and seminars, as well as for publications.
- Demonstrate initiative and conduct independent research, including comprehensive literature review of the research literature.
- Provide guidance for undergraduate or postgraduate research students in the Boskovic group in the experimental design and operation of instrumentation and other advanced technical equipmen
- Contribute to the preparation of research proposal submissions to external funding bodies, or where appropriate prepare them individually.
- Undertake administrative functions and obligations primarily connected with the area of research
How to Apply- Online applications are preferred. Go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers, select the relevant option (‘Current Staff’ or ‘Prospective Staff’), then find the position by title or number.
For Contact- Associate Professor Colette Boskovic
+61 3 8344
Email [email protected] Please do not send your application to this contact
Last Date for Apply– 12 March 2019