Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Fellow
Australian National University invites application for Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Fellow position from eligible and interested candidates
About- The ANU College of Science (CoS) comprises: the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Research School of Biology, the Research School of Chemistry, the Research School of Earth Science, the Fenner School of Environment and Society, the Mathematical Sciences Institute, the Research School of Physics and Engineering, and the Centre for the Public Awareness of Science. Staff and students within the ANU College of Science conduct research and delivers a research-led education program that encompasses the entire breadth of the sciences, supported by extensive international networks and by world-class facilities. The College has a strong tradition of research excellence that has fostered distinguished Nobel Laureates and Kyoto Prize winners and that trains scientific leaders in disciplines in which the ANU is consistently ranked in the top twenty in the world.
Research/Job Area- Biology, or equivalent area
Location- Australian National University
- A PhD (or awarding of a PhD within six months of appointment commencement) in Biology, or equivalent qualifications and experience in a related area, with a track record of independent research in the field of Plant Biology and/or Plant Molecular Biology as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, a record of developing and maintaining collaborations and by other measures such as awards, and invitations to present at conferences.
2. Evidence of the ability to articulate and prosecute innovative research in general molecular biological techniques such as: DNA cloning, PCR applications, restriction analysis, DNA sequencing and sterile technique; as well as skills in analysis of proteins including electrophoresis, western blotting.
3. Demonstrated experience with aspects of photosynthetic research in higher plants including gas exchange measurements of photosynthesis. Demonstrated experience with aspects of plant transformation systems and tissue culture techniques is highly desirable.
4. An ability and commitment to contribute to bids for competitive external funding to support individual and collaborative research activities.
5. Evidence of an ability and willingness to teach at all levels.
6. The ability to assist in the supervision of students working on research projects.
7. The ability to work as part of a team and to meet deadlines.
8. Excellent oral and written English language skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with a variety of staff and students in a cross-disciplinary academic environment and to foster respectful and productive working relationships with staff, students and colleagues at all levels.
9. A demonstrated understanding of equal opportunity principles and policies and a commitment to their application in a university context.
The successful applicant will support research objectives outlined and will be a member of the International RIPE consortium (ripe.illinois.edu) within the Division of Plant Sciences at the Research School of Biology.
Research objectives revolve around strategies to transfer cyanobacterial carboxysomes and algal/cyanobacterial bicarbonate pumps to C3 chloroplasts to enhance photosynthetic CO2 fixation and crop yield.
The work relates to construction and analysis of new transgenic Nicotiana tabacum plants expressing carboxysomes and algal/cyanobacterial bicarbonate transporters in chloroplasts, and directed evolution of bicarbonate transporters in E. coli stems to select for better transporters.
The position is a Continuing Contingent Funded (CCF) appointment for two (2) years, and may be extendable pending funding availability.
Classification: Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Fellow (Level A or B)
Salary package: $71,509 – $111,365 plus 17% superannuation
Terms: Full time, Continuing (Contingent Funded) (2 years)
How to Apply-
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
For more information, please contact Professor Dean Price, on [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 31 Jan 2019 11:55:00 PM