Postdoctoral Fellow/Senior Research Officer
QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute, Australia invites application for Postdoctoral Fellow/Senior Research Officer position from eligible and interested candidates
About QIMR Berghofer:
QIMR Berghofer is a world-leading translational medical research institute focused on improving health by developing new diagnostics, better treatments and prevention strategies, specifically in the areas of cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and chronic disorders. Based in Herston, Brisbane and working in close collaboration with clinicians and other research institutes, QIMR Berghofer is home to more than 600 scientists, students and support staff.
About the Respiratory Immunology Laboratory:
The Respiratory Immunology Laboratory aims to understand gene-environment (e.g. microbiome, respiratory viruses) interactions that contribute to the development, progression and exacerbations of asthma and COPD. To achieve this, we employ epidemiologically relevant preclinical mouse models, healthy and diseased organoids, and analyses of human biopsies and fluids.
Research/Job Area- Pathology, Immunology, or Molecular Biology preferred
Location- QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute, Australia
To be successful in this role you are expected to be ambitious, with high-level technical abilities and the following experience:
- MSc and/or PhD in a relevant field (Pathology, Immunology, or Molecular Biology preferred), with at least 3 years of relevant post graduate experience.
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience with preclinical models of disease, cellular and molecular technologies (e.g. cell culture, multi-parameter immune profiling by flow cytometry, qRT-PCR), and experience interpreting data from such analyses.
- An understanding of bioinformatics, preferably with bioinformatics experience analysing RNAseq.
- Proven scientific track record documented by publications in high-ranking journals
- Team leader and team player with strong people skills. Ability to work independently but also in a collaborative manner with local teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills for integrating and interpreting interdisciplinary data
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral fellow/senior research officer (with >3 year’s post-graduate experience) to join the Respiratory Immunology Laboratory headed by Associate Professor Simon Phipps.
Salary: Salary range for a Research Officer is $80,493 to $86,363 per annum. The range for a Senior Research Officer is $90,878 to $107,817. This is a full-time appointment for two years, with the prospect for renewal.
- Full time appointment for 2 years with the prospect of renewal
- International applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Attractive salary packaging & superannuation options
You are expected to have a strong track record in preclinical models of respiratory disease, immunological techniques, and a strong understanding of mucosal immunity. The objective is to better understand pathogenic mechanisms of disease relating to disease onset, progression and exacerbations, with a focus on commensal and pathogenic microbes and their regulation of mucosal immunity.
The following duties will apply:
- Implement preclinical models of asthma/COPD through careful experimental design, experimental execution, and data analysis.
- Grow and differentiate primary human airway epithelial cells, infect with human pathogens, harvest RNA and analyse the transcriptome.
- Generate hypotheses, facilitate research collaborations, and contribute to the writing of manuscripts.
- Clearly communicate data and interpretations to the group leader and the rest of the team.
- Management of staff, students.
How to Apply-
Click on the “Apply” button on the positions vacant page.
Applications should address the selection criteria and include curriculum vitae, proof of qualifications, and the names and contact details of three professional referees.
For Contact- Contact Associate Professor Simon Phipps on 61 (0) 7 3362 0145 or by email at [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 21 February 2019
Click here to apply-