Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Research Position
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), US offers postdoctoral research position on Battery Multi-Physics Modeler for candidates having PhD. in relevant chemistry, electrochemistry, mechanical, chemical engineering or related discipline.
About- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future that is both environmentally and economically sustainable. With locations in Golden, Boulder and Washington D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States. The NREL mission is to develop renewable energy and energy efficient technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering, and transfer knowledge and innovation to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
Research/Job area– Chemistry, electrochemistry, mechanical, chemical engineering or related discipline
Project Title- Battery Multi-Physics Modeler
Location- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), US
Eligibility/Qualification- Must be a recent PhD graduate within the last three years.
- Demonstrated research capability to solve challenging problems.
- Familiarity with commercial CFD and FEA software packages such as Fluent, ANSYS, STAR-CD, STAR-CCM+, and COMSOL.
- Familiarity of open source CFD and FEA packages such as Open Foam and FENICS.
- Working knowledge of C, C++, MATLAB and/or Python.
- Previous research or practical experience proposing, formulating and solving physics-based models of multi-scale reaction-transport systems such as lithium-ion batteries.
- Experience with numerical discretization techniques.
- Experience designing and running laboratory experiments.
- Demonstrated record of publication in top-quality journals.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and documentation skills.
- Demonstrated team work, creativity, innovation, and adaptability
- PhD. in relevant chemistry, electrochemistry, mechanical, chemical engineering or related discipline with 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Experience in modeling and simulation of thermal, chemical, and electrochemical energy storage devices or systems.
- Experience in programming
Job/Position Description- NREL’s Transportation and Hydrogen Systems Center has a postdoctoral research position available. The selected candidate will be responsible for developing new battery simulation capability within both in-house and commercial simulation software and performing simulation-based analysis to investigate performance, life and safety of lithium-ion batteries for electric-drive vehicles as part of the DOE Vehicle Technologies Energy Storage program. The postdoctoral researcher will also support simulation validation by designing experiments and analyzing experimental data. This position will support R&D conducted in-house and externally by NREL researchers and by university/industry/lab partners.
Job duties include, but not limited to-
- Develop new models of electrochemical/mechanical coupled phenomena at the microstructure, particle and electrode length scales
- Develop multi-step multi-phase reaction models to describe degradation processes and/or novel energy storage chemistries
- Develop numerical techniques to describe evolving morphologies of energy storage materials
- Work with NREL researchers to enhance NREL’s Multi-Scale Multi-Dimensional (MSMD) battery model bridging particle-, electrode-, cell-, and pack-scale physics
- Improve lifetime, performance and safety of Li-ion battery units with simulation-based analysis
- Modify existing models to run using generalized solvers and design experiments and analyze data to validate model predictions
- Support DOE program for Computer-Aided Engineering of Batteries (CAEBAT) and interact with CAEBAT university, laboratory and industry partners
- Document work in detailed technical memos, laboratory notebooks, milestone reports, and journal articles and present at technical conferences
How to Apply- In order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.