Postdoctoral Researcher Position 2019 in RIKEN, Japan
Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Researcher Position 2019
RIKEN, Japan invites application for Postdoctoral Researcher Position 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- RIKEN is currently accepting applications for the FY 2020 Special Postdoctoral Researcher (SPDR) Program, from young, creative, independent researchers who will be a powerful force in furthering RIKEN’s research activities. Postdoctoral Researcher Position 2019
Research/Job Area- Mathematical Sciences (pure mathematics, applied mathematics, computer science, information science, artificial intelligence, etc.), Physics I (particle, nuclear, astrophysics, etc.), Physics II (condensed matter), Chemistry, Biology (cell biology, developmental biology, plant biology, structural biology, microbiology, imaging, measuring, etc.), Medical Science (brain science, psychology, immunology, oncology, genome science, etc.) and Engineering that relate to research being conducted at RIKEN. As part of the screening process, the research category to which you applied may be changed to a different category.
Location- RIKEN, Japan
Eligibility/Qualification–Applicants must fulfill all five conditions given below:
- Be prepared to independently and responsibly pursue a research topic.
- Have a PhD awarded on or after January 1, 2014, or expect to be awarded a PhD by the date of hire.
- Able to start work in FY 2020 (April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021)
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- Those who have previously participated in the SPDR and FPR programs are NOT eligible to apply.
Job/Position Description- The involvement of creative young scientists is critical in pioneering new frontiers of science and technology. RIKEN’s Special Postdoctoral Researcher Program is a program to foster the development of researchers who will become internationally active in the future, and provides creative young scientists with the opportunity to be involved in autonomous and independent research on a topic of their own choosing that is in line with RIKEN objectives and research fields.
Number of openings – Around 60
(subject to change with any change depending on budget)
Three years from date of hire (in principle, April 1, 2020) (Actual starting date to be decided upon consultation)
How to Apply-
- Contact the RIKEN laboratory where you would like to workSelect a RIKEN laboratory where you would like to work from among the laboratories that have indicated their willingness to host a SPDR and contact the lab to confirm that it is ready to host from FY 2020. Refer to the “Laboratories with SPDR Openings (as of March 5, 2019)” list to find out which laboratories have openings and contact the addresses shown on the relevant web pages.
Note: This list is updated regularly. Please take note of the date on which the list was last updated. The laboratories and other listed organizations may change even after April 18, 2019.
- Research topicAfter you find a laboratory that is willing to be your host, you should explain the research topic you propose to carry out at RIKEN. Discuss the topic thoroughly with the laboratory head to make sure that your final research topic proposal takes into account the work being conducted within the host laboratory.
- Applicant registrationTo register, visit the website noted below, and enter the required basic information.
Registration: February 18 to April 11
Basic information registration deadline: April 11
- LanguageEither Japanese or English is acceptable for SPDR application documents and interviews.
After you have registered online you will automatically be sent an email with your user ID, registration number, and password. Go to the website indicated in the email and upload your application documents.
For Contact- Email: wakate[at]riken.jp
Last Date for Apply–
For registering basic information: April 11, 2019 (Japan Time)
For revising or uploading application documents and letters of reference:
5 p.m., April 18, 2019, Thursday (Japan Time)