Postdoctoral Scholars Program – 2019 in Academia Sinica (AS), Taiwan
Academia Sinica (AS), Taiwan invites application for Postdoctoral Scholars Program – 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Scholars Program – 2019
About- Academia Sinica (AS), the most eminent national research institution in Taiwan, provides a well-developed research environment for about 600 postdoctoral scholars. Each year, they offer a favourable research opportunity for both domestic and international postdoctoral researchers. Candidates can easily find their fields of interests in versatile areas of mathematics and physical sciences, life sciences, humanities and social sciences at AS. Postdoctoral Scholars Program – 2019 in Academia Sinica (AS), Taiwan
Research/Job Area- Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences
Location- Academia Sinica (AS), Taiwan
- Academia Sinica Postdoctoral Scholars (Distinguished): Applicants with their PhD conferred after July 2015.
- Postdoctoral Scholars (Regular): Applicants with their PhD conferred after July 2013.
- Applicants who had given birth after receiving their PhDs may defer the timeframe specified above for 2 years; while those who had served compulsory military service after receiving their PhDs may defer the timeframe specified above for a period equivalent to the length of their service, and should provide proof for such military service.
- Applicants who have not received their PhD by the application deadline must obtain a confirmation letter from their doctoral advisor stating that their PhD degree will be conferred prior to the appointment date.
- Academia Sinica Postdoctoral Scholars:
- PhD degree obtained within last 4 years from local or foreign universities; outstanding record of publications; evidence of excellence in independent research.
- Distinguished Postdoctoral Scholarship provides air fares and additional US$ 4,500 as research expenditure (for overseas conferences, laboratory equipment etc.).
- (Regular) Postdoctoral Scholars:
- PhD degree obtained within last 6 years from local or foreign universities; outstanding record of publications.
- Regular Postdoctoral Scholar may obtain additional subsidy after negotiation with the sponsoring Principal Investigator.
Job/Position Description- The appointment period of the Second session of the 2019 Postdoctoral Scholars Program will be from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2021.
During the appointment period, a postdoctoral scholar should comply with the regulations stipulated by the Academia Sinica Personnel Office as well as the requirements and instructions of his/her sponsoring PI and host institute. For information on the rights and responsibilities of a postdoctoral Scholar at Academia Sinica, please go to http://hro.sinica.edu.tw/cbemployee/cbemployee.html. In addition, a postdoctoral scholar will be required to sign an employment contract and a declaration stating that he/she is not the spouse, a relative by blood or a relative by marriage of the head(s) of the employing organization, institute, the sponsoring PI or co-PI.
Postdoctoral Scholar Program at AS consists of Academia Sinica Postdoctoral Scholars and (Regular) postdoctoral Scholars. Both scholarships provide US$ 23,830 to US$ 34,350 as base annual salary (the exact amount is determined by candidate’s qualification).
This is a full-time research position. The initial appointment is on a 2-year term (with an annual contract), renewable based on satisfactory performance review and funding availability.
How to Apply- The second session of the 2019 Postdoctoral Scholars Programs at Academia Sinica accepts applications from January 15th to March 4th, 2019. All applications will be accepted and processed online.
Applicants from the Divisions of Mathematics, Physical Sciences and Life Sciences should indicate the type(s) of scholars they intend to apply for.
Applicants from the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences need not specify the type of scholars as it will be decided by the review committee.
Applicants who apply for the Academia Sinica Postdoctoral Scholar (Distinguished) and applicants from the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences are required to submit a proposal detailing the goal, significance, background, methodology, and anticipated accomplishments of their research projects. Proposals lacking these aspects may result in adverse outcomes when reviewed.
The applicants must make sure that the application from their principle investigator (PI) and three letters of recommendation are submitted to the Department of Academic Affairs and Instrument Service (DAAIS) before the application deadline.
I. Applicant must first contact Principal Investigators (PIs) directly.
There are 31 institutes or centers at Academia Sinica. Visit the following websites in your field of interest to identify potential PIs whose research team you would like to join. Write to the prospective PI directly to state your interest and intention of application.
- Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Division of Life Sciences
- Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
II. Complete the Online Application: http://db3n2u.sinica.edu.tw/~textdb/program
Postdoctoral research program is open for application twice a year: the first round between 1st August and 1st September, the second round between 15th January and 1st March. Please read the Guidelines for Postdoctoral Scholar Program at Academia Sinica for detailed regulations.
For any inquiries and questions, please contact the following staff members at DAAIS.
For the Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences: Ms. Ching-Cheng Tseng (Tel: 886-2-2789-9386; Email: [email protected])
For the Division of Life Sciences: Ms. Mei-Hsiu Michelle Chien (Tel: 886-2-2789-9676; Email: [email protected])
For the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences: Mr. Yu Hang (Tel: 886-2-2789-8067; Email: [email protected])
Last Date for Apply– 4 March 2019