Designation/Position- PhD Scholarship
The University of Gibraltar is delighted to be able to offer a Commonwealth PhD Scholarship, an opportunity for researchers who are citizens of the Commonwealth to come and study with us.
About- The Gibraltar Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme provides financial support that includes all University fees, one annual return trip to and from the country of residence, and a monthly stipend towards completion of a three-year full-time doctoral postgraduate qualification at the University of Gibraltar.
The purpose of the scholarship is to enhance individual teaching and research capacity leading to increased institutional capacity in academic and other sectors in Commonwealth countries and to contribute to Gibraltar’s higher education and research by attracting international candidates and encouraging links and collaboration.
The scholarship is intended for high-quality graduates who have the potential to become influential leaders, teachers, or researchers in their home countries, and whose proposed research topic has been demonstrated to the satisfaction of the selection committee to have a developmental and leadership focus.
Research/Job area– Master in related field
Project Title- The Gibraltar Commonwealth Scholarship
Location- University of Gibraltar, Gibraltar
Eligibility/Qualification- To apply for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth country other than the host country (Gibraltar) or a British protected person;
- Be permanently resident in a Commonwealth country (http://thecommonwealth.org/member-countries);
- Be available to start your academic studies in Gibraltar by the start of the academic year in October 2018; and
- By October 2018, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree).
Additionally, applicants should usually:
- hold a Master’s degree awarded by a UK University, or an overseas Master’s degree of an equivalent standard, provided that the Master’s degree is in an appropriate cognate area and that the Master’s degree included training in research and the completion of a research project;
- have a good honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate discipline, and ideally have research and/or professional experience at postgraduate level as evidenced in published work, written reports or other appropriate evidence of accomplishment.
If English is not your first language you must demonstrate evidence of English language ability to the following (or equivalent) minimum level of proficiency:
- an IELTS score of 6.5; or
- a TOEFL score of 600; and
have achieved a minimum of English Language competence equivalent to at least IELTS 5.5 across all four areas of competence – writing, reading, speaking and listening.
An IELTS test will be considered valid only if it is taken after 1 October 2017 and before 10th June 2018.
Job/Position Description- Students are encouraged to engage with the University before lodging their application by discussing their potential research with us. This expression of interest should take the form of an e-mail that outlines their research interests and proposed topic of study.
Students must prepare their proposal as outlined in our PhD Information Leaflet.
Applications must be made directly to the University and must include:
- a completed application form, including your research proposal;
- all of the required documentation (i.e. copies of University/College transcripts, award certificates, and certificate of English proficiency where necessary – see below);
- the names and contact details of three personal referees;
- the names and contact details of up to three subject specialists whom you think the University might approach to review your PhD proposal and/or who might be able to offer expert supervision in your field of study.
Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
The application must be received by us by Friday 16th March 2018, 12 noon Gibraltar time (GMT+1) and applications will be acknowledged by email receipt by 5 pm Gibraltar time (GMT+1) on the same day.
Expressions of Interest and applications must be made through the dedicated email account: [email protected]
How to Apply- This is a joint application system whereby the application is for both the scholarship and for a place to read for a PhD at the University of Gibraltar. Prospective applicants are advised to refer to our Commonwealth Scholarship Prospectus for details of research themes.